Wigs have changed the hair game—they’ve given countless women everywhere a quick, effortless way to boost confidence and stay stylish. More women than ever have started rocking wigs, and while donning a wig is one of the simplest ways to get into the fashion groove, it’s important to go over a few ground rules. Here are a few tips all wig lovers can use to make sure they get the most out of their new hair:
- Do try on a wig, if you can, before purchasing. Different face shapes and personalities lend themselves to different styles. Not every cut is flattering to every face, so it’s important to find out what works with your specific coloring, face shape, and style. Bring along a trusted friend to give you unbiased feedback—sometimes it’s hard to tell what looks best on us until we see ourselves through someone else’s eyes. And don’t be afraid to try on styles you’d never have thought of on your own! That spunky red pixie you’d never have imagined yourself in could end up being your favorite new look. (Visit our Store Locator, if you need help finding an Envy Wig retailer near you!)
- Do customize your wig. Many people don’t realize that a) wigs can be styled just like your natural hair, and b) most hairstylists are perfectly willing to give your faux coiffe a custom cut. Your stylist can trim, shape, and style a wig to your exact specifications and will help make your wig look as realistic as possible. And if you have a wig made of heat-friendly fibers, you can customize it yourself by curling or straightening it with your styling tools. Just make sure to follow the wig manufacturer’s recommendations for heat settings. Wig fibers are easily damaged if you apply too much heat.
- Do take care of your wig. Storing, cleaning, and maintaining your wig properly are the most important things a wig owner can do to ensure it looks great and lasts as long as possible. Keep your wig on a mannequin head or wig stand when you aren’t wearing it to maintain its shape and style. Clean your wig by washing it when needed and using only wig-friendly shampoos and conditioners. Maintain your wig with products like our Renu and Repair spray, Beauty Balm, and Hair Detox to keep it shiny, moisturized, and healthy.
- Don’t cheat yourself. While a cheap wig may seem like a good idea at the time, it won’t last. It’s better to spend a little more money for a quality wig that you know looks real, feels real, and will last a lot longer than its cheaper counterpart.
- Don’t wear an incorrect size. If your wig is too small or too big, it will show. Wigs that are too tight can damage your natural hair and irritate your scalp. Alternately, wins that are too loose can slip around and ride up, causing excess hair to bulk up at the crown. Do yourself a favor and take all the necessary measurements before you buy your wig. A proper fit is key to ensuring you have the most comfortable, believable head of hair.
- Don’t forget to take care of your natural hair and scalp. Wearing wigs is great, because it means you don’t need to worry about how your natural hair looks. It can be tempting to neglect it, since it’s covered up all the time. But if you wear wigs on a regular basis, keeping your natural hair clean and healthy can help you avoid scalp irritation, hair loss, breakage and damage, and even infection.
We hope these tips help you enjoy your wigs to the fullest. Above all, be sure to get out there, be yourself, rock your new hairstyle…and have fun!